8. a. The brothers feared that Joseph would repay them for mistreating him and selling him into slavery now that their father, Jacob, was dead.
b. Joseph reassured his brothers and spoke kindly to them. He also promised to provide for them and their children.
c. Stay in the love relationship with Christ, seeking Him with all my heart, and trusting Him to direct my path. Avoid taking matters into my own hands and feeling sorry for myself.
9. a. (Challenge) Joseph forgave his brothers, became their provider, showed them mercy, and love – the picture of grace – Joseph gave them what they did not deserve.
b. Although in my head I know that the Lord loves me despite my weaknesses and failures, my heart is not 100% convinced. Remembering to be a living sacrifice and allowing Him to lovingly show me the issues that need to be dealt with will bring me into spiritual maturity.
c. Philippians 3:12 comes to mind…”Not that I have now attained [this ideal], or have already been made perfect, but I press on to lay hold of (grasp) and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me and made me His own.” (AMP)
For several years I had a bad attitude about something. While standing at a church altar, awaiting prayer for healing, the Lord convicted me about my attitude. He gave me a general instruction to redirect my entire life to do what I was refusing to do.
10. a. God’s purpose for Jacob was to save many lives.
b. (Challenge) New Testament verses directing disciples to save lives –
- When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. Luke 9:1-2
- Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give. Matthew 10:8
- After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. Heal the sick who are there and tell them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ Luke 10:1,9
- The good Samaritan – Jesus told him (the expert in the law), “Go and do likewise.”
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. Matthew 28:19
- The disciples said to Jesus, “Send the people away so that they can go to the surrounding countryside and villages and buy themselves something to eat.”But he answered, “You give them something to eat.” Mark 6:36-37