- Genesis 3:15 When Joseph learned that Mary was pregnant, he decided to divorce her quietly. Enmity means hatred that lasts a long time – i.e. Hatfields and McCoys. Joseph’s initial reaction was to quietly divorce Mary when he learned she was pregnant. It doesn’t seem to me that he hated her because he did not want to subject her to disgrace. After the angel came to him in a dream saying “don’t be afraid to take her as your wife,” he didn’t argue. The angel didn’t say “don’t be angry or hate her or be hostile toward her.” So I don’t really see what the question seems to suggest. Update: Several group members found this question confusing. The answer most came up with was “crushed Satan.” I didn’t share my answer.
- Genesis 49:8 –12 Jesus was from the tribe of Judah.
- Psalm 2:7 God through the Holy Spirit caused Mary to conceive His son, Immanuel.
- Isaiah 7:14 Finally an easier one. “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”(which means “God with us”). Quoted in Matthew 1:23
- Isaiah 9:6–7 “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.”
b. Matthew quotes Isaiah 7:14 in Matthew 1:23.
10. a. When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel instructed him to do, taking Mary as his wife.
b. I had plans to focus on worship music and business when the Lord instructed me to write and assist my extended family.
11. a. In their small community, there may have been some speculation about Mary and Joseph. It must have been very difficult to explain the angelic visitation and immaculate conception. Joseph and Mary displayed amazing strength as they humbled themselves in obedience to the call of God on their young lives. Update: One group member pointed out that Mary could have been stoned to death.
b. Mary and Joseph had the awesome privilege of being an integral part of God’s plan. The knowledge of being in God’s will brings with it an inner strength and spiritual growth.
c. Just as Mary and Joseph did not see or comprehend all that God had planned to accomplish through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, I can rejoice in the knowledge that I have participated in the plans and purposes of God.
12. Heavenly Father, help me to increase in faith and obedience to Your every plan and purpose for my life. I ask You to supply all the guidance, strength, wisdom, resources, favor, and assistance I need to fulfill my destiny. Illuminate my path. In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.