Study of Matthew 9:9-17 ~ My answers to BSF study questions
6. a. Levi
b. When Jesus called Matthew, he…
- got up.
- left everything.
- followed Him.
- held a large banquet for Jesus at his home.
- invited a large number of tax collectors as well as others.
c. Other evidence a person has responded to Jesus’ call:
Luke 9:23; Luke 14:27
- denies himself; loses sight of himself and his own interests (AMP)
- takes up his cross daily; conforms wholly to His example in living and, if need be, in dying also (AMP)
- follows Him
- perseveres (AMP)
Romans 6:2, 18
- dead to sin
- set free from sin
- servant of righteousness
1 Thessalonians 1:9
- turned away from idols
- now serve a living and true God
1 John 1:8-10
- They (we) [freely] admit that we have sinned. (AMP)
- confess our sins
d. I serve the one true God and believe He sent His Son Jesus who provided forgiveness for my sin. I endeavor to persevere in a daily journey to be conformed to His likeness.
7. The Pharisees looked down on sinners, considered themselves righteous, and in need of nothing. They were oblivious (blind) to their own need for cleansing. Jesus had compassion on those who were willing to admit their need for forgiveness, freedom, and healing.