Study of Matthew 9:18-26 ~ My answers to BSF study questions
10. a. Main points of Jesus’ healing the sick woman
- Subject to bleeding for twelve years
- Doctors unable to help her
- The doctors caused additional suffering.
- Her condition grew worse.
- Her condition rendered her “unclean” under the terms of the law.
- She believed if she could only touch Jesus’ clothes, she would be healed.
- She pressed in close enough to do just that.
- She immediately realized she was healed.
- Despite the crowds pressing against Him, Jesus was aware someone had just claimed her healing.
- When Jesus asked, “Who touched me,” the woman confessed.
- Jesus commended her for her faith. He said, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”
b. Jesus didn’t have to do or say anything. Her own faith in Jesus’ ability to heal, brought healing when she reached out and touched Him.
Such a powerful story! So many people are in the same position of suffering from a condition for many years with no relief or help from physicians. In fact, procedures, surgeries, chemo, financial burden, being abandoned by friends, etc. often create even greater suffering. Having witnessed the misery and depression this brings, I’m touched by her desperation and faith. Jesus was her only hope. That day changed her life!
11. a. rabbi, teacher
b. In Matthew’s account, Jairus says that his little girl has just died.
In Mark’s account, she is still alive, but dying.
Certainly Jairus is desperate, but he shows humility by falling at Jesus’ feet. His words also reveal great faith. He fully believes Jesus can save her from death. It doesn’t seem he would exhibit such faith if he considered Jesus a last-ditch effort.
c. Jesus said to Jairus, “Don’t be afraid. Just believe.”