Study of Matthew 16:18-20 — Lesson 17 Day 4 Answers to Study Questions
6. a. Meaning of rock, stone, block or foundation…
- Deuteronomy 32:4, 15, 18, 30-31—The Rock is Almighty God and the Son of God. He is perfect, sinless, righteous, upright, faithful, just—the Rock of our Salvation! (Jeshurun is referring to Israel)
- Matthew 16:23—Block—something that can cause one to stumble.
- Ephesians 2:20—The individual “bricks” of the foundation are the individual prophets and apostles. Jesus Christ Himself is the foundation’s cornerstone of God’s household—the kingdom of God.
- 1 Peter 2:4-8—Living Stone, Precious Cornerstone is Christ Jesus. He is our source of life— precious to those of us who put our trust in Him. By doing so, we have the honor of presenting ourselves as building stones of a living and breathing temple for His presence. But for those who disbelieve, He is a stumbling block and a stone the builders threw away.
7. Perhaps Jesus predicted He would overcome hell, death, and the grave once and for all on behalf of the saints. Death would be become powerless.
Another possibility—perhaps both interpretations are applicable—has to do with Satan’s realm that seeks to steal, kill, and destroy. In John 10:9, Jesus refers to Himself as the gate to abundant life—safety, protection, provision, and peace—the opposite of death even in our earthly life!