Study of Matthew 24:37-51 ~ My answers to BSF study questions
10. a. When Jesus returns people will be…
- getting married
- having babies
- thinking evil thoughts continually
b. During the time Noah built the ark, people were doing their own thing—oblivious to the coming destruction of all mankind. In 2 Peter 2:5, Noah was called “a preacher of righteousness” so he must have warned whoever would listen.
Noah likely spent years constructing the ark, so it is safe to assume word got around. The people didn’t take him seriously until it rained for days and the water began to rise.
Likewise, the current pervasive public attitude is ungodly. Several decades ago, in my observation, most people were afraid to mock God and believers.
I Googled “How long did it take Noah to build the ark?” (Noah was 600 when he entered the ark, but his age at the time he began construction is not given.) I found several answers containing snarky remarks.
11. a. Illustration of the first servant—Matthew 24:45-47
- In charge of his master’s household
- Hard at work when the master returned home
- Served the family food at the proper time
- The master put him in charge of all his possessions.
b. The wicked servant said in his heart, “My master is delayed” Matthew 24:48 Rather than acting out of respect and honor for his master, he used the time to his own advantage. He proved unfaithful, unethical, violent, and a lover of pleasure.
c. Hypocrites will face the judgment of God for their unfaithfulness. They chose their reward in this life. They will not be happy when Jesus returns.
- Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness…
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. Matthew 22:37
- Love our neighbor as we love ourselves. Matthew 22:39
- Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn’t need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15
- Remember, Jesus may have physically left the earth for a season, but He sent the Holy Spirit as our comforter, teacher, helper, advocate, and reminder(er). (I know that’s not a word. ;-)
a. Jesus’ main command: Remain faithful and watchful.
- Be ready.
- A great tribulation is coming.
- Don’t be deceived.
c. Jesus is coming again. Even so Lord Jesus, COME.
13. During the study, I got bogged down in sorting out the details of the destruction of Jerusalem, which events followed, and the signs at the end. The important thing to remember is to be found faithful. That is my prayer.