Study of Matthew 27:35-50 ~ My answers to BSF study questions
7. Prophetic description of the crucifixion in Psalm 22
- Psalm 22:1 Jesus quoted these words on the cross.
- Psalm 22:2-6 The Father turned away from Jesus because a holy God could not look on His Son who was now filled with the sin of the entire world. He was now despised and rejected.
- Psalm 22:7-9 verse 7 Matthew 27:39 says that as He hung on the cross, “they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads” verse 8 This was fulfilled in Matthew 27:43 “Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads”
- Psalm 22:12-13 “I believe this was fulfilled in the life of Jesus when the Pharisees; elders of the Jews (Matthew 27:1); and Roman rulers, Pilate and Herod (Acts 4:27), came against Jesus.” Andrew Wommack’s Living Commentary. This could also refer to the same as verse 8 above.
- Psalm 22:14 When the soldier stabbed Jesus in the side with his spear, water and blood gushed out.
- Psalm 22:15 When Jesus was near the point of death, this verse was fulfilled. John 19:28
- Psalm 22:16 Jesus’ hands and feet were pierced by spikes. (Execution by crucifixion wasn’t in practice when Psalm 22 was written.)
- Psalm 22:17 Jesus was crucified without His clothes, so He and everyone else was able to see all His bones.
- Psalm 22:18 The soldiers cast lots for His tunic and divided His other clothing among them.
- Psalm 22:19-21 Jesus wasn’t delivered prior to death, but God delivered Him from the tomb. In John 10:18 Jesus said, No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
8. a. The Old Testament reveals God’s plans and purposes for man and points to Jesus Christ.
b. I can’t think of any changes to my thoughts or feelings toward Jesus, but it is important to be reminded of the excruciatingly painful and humiliating sacrifice He endured for me. How can I help but love Him?