Study of Matthew 28; John 20:1-18; Luke 24:12-32 ~ My answers to BSF study questions
6. I believe the strips of linen were lying there just as they were wrapped around the body. When Jesus arose in His glorified body, He sat up, passing through the fabric, leaving it intact. It was just flatted out from the weight of the spices, now that the body was no longer supporting them.
The head wrapping was by itself, separated by the length of His neck, perhaps. The NIV says in reference to the fabric covering His face, “The cloth was still lying in its place, separate from the linen. John 20:7 (NASB) says, “and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings, but rolled up in a place by itself.”
The details establish John as a credible eyewitness. It also depicts an orderly scene.
If people came and stole the body, they probably would have taken the body—linens and all. They would have carried it off that way, leaving a trail of spices along the path.
7. Relationship between Jesus and Mary Magdalene:
- Mary Magdalene knew her shepherd’s voice.
- She followed Jesus even after His death.
- She didn’t run away or shy away.
- The Good Shepherd also knows His own sheep. He knew Mary was devoted to Him and believed He was the Son of God.
- Mary was obedient when Jesus sent her to tell the disciples that she had seen Him.
- She apparently did not argue about her ability to speak well, nor about the impropriety of a woman entering a place where men were staying. She just obeyed.
b. Personal – Throughout the study of Matthew, I have felt like the men who encountered Jesus on the road to Emmaus. in Luke 24:32 (NASB) they said, “Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?”
8. a. It’s amazing to me how many times Jesus clearly revealed His coming death and resurrection to the disciples. Yet, they wouldn’t listen to the women and didn’t believe even when they saw the empty tomb.
I shouldn’t be amazed, because I’ve read and listened to all of these passages repeatedly all my life, and I’m seeing things I don’t recall reading or hearing before. Until we begin to understand, we can’t retain the information.
b. I plan to continue in-depth Bible study, seeking to understand. I like this feeling of my heart burning within me.