John Lesson 7 Day 5 Day 6 ~ John 5:31-47
11- You need two or three witnesses to make a case.
Jesus said, “If I alone testify about Myself, My testimony is not valid.” John 5:31 AMP
Jesus referred to Deuteronomy 19:15—”You need two or three witnesses to make a case.” MSG
Witnesses who testified of Jesus—
- Testimony of John the Baptist—Jesus called John “a burning and shining lamp.” John 5:33 John boldly proclaimed that Jesus was the Son of God.
- Testimony of Jesus’ works—His teachings and miracles John 5:36 Through them the Father Himself confirmed Jesus’ identity.
- Testimony of the Father—John 5:37 Even though they have not seen God, if they had God’s word living in their hearts and minds, they would believe in the One He has sent.
- Testimony of Scripture—John 5:39 Even though the Jewish leaders memorized and studied the scriptures, they believed the scriptures themselves gave eternal life. They failed to see that the scriptures pointed to Jesus.
12- Why some didn’t believe
- “For they don’t understand God’s way of making people right with himself. Refusing to accept God’s way, they cling to their own way of getting right with God by trying to keep the law.” (Romans 10:3 NLT) Some people are convinced their own good works are worthy of salvation
- “For every wrongdoer hates the Light, and does not come to the Light [but shrinks from it] for fear that his [sinful, worthless] activities will be exposed and condemned.” John 3:20 AMP
- Today, many believe that all spiritual paths lead to the same result. Jesus is the only way. John 14:6
My prayer for those I know (adapted from several resources—a work in progress.)
I pray that You would let them see Your pure love. You are longing for them to spend eternity with You.
Bring to their remembrance experiences and truths from their past.
Bring laborers—whether in person, in a dream, a video, a song, a billboard—whatever Your creativity conceives. You alone know their hearts. You know their deepest longings.
Lord, strip away deception, wounds, demonic influence and strongholds that would keep them from accepting You.
Let them see Your eyes of love looking into theirs. Let Your truth be known in their hearts and minds.
Jesus, in Your great mercy, snatch them from the enemy’s grasp even until their last breath. Amen.
13- The Jewish leaders’ study of scripture
The Jewish leaders searched the Scriptures because they thought knowledge of the Scriptures gave them eternal life.
Knowledge isn’t the point. The purpose is to know Him. Not just know ABOUT Him.
Reading a biography isn’t the same thing as having a relationship with the person. Even if the writer had a relationship with them.
Don’t neglect the secret place.
14- Review of Lesson 7 John 5
What I learned—I don’t remember noticing that Jesus brought in witnesses as the law required. They had so many opportunities to receive the truth, yet they denied Him over and over again. They muzzled John the Baptist by putting him in prison. Words can’t express the ache this brings to my heart for them and others who reject Him.
Prayer—I pray my desire for an intimate relationship with You, Lord, will continually increase. May I truly be Your disciple, learning Your ways—Doing what I see you doing. Amen
MY answers — not THE answers — to BSF study questions on John Lesson 7 Day 5 Day 6 ~ John 5:31-47