10. Reasons blood was such an important part of sacrifices—
- Life (the soul) of an animal is in its blood.
- Life blood of an animal must be used on the altar to atone, in exchange, for your lives.
- That exchange makes purification possible.
11. a. In Leviticus 18, God uses the following terms to describe His view of every kind of sexual immorality—
- Detestable practice or custom
- Shame (on another person or God)
- Outrageous offense
- Degradedly carnal (AMP)
b. Reasons God gave for these commands—
- Do not act like the people of Egypt.
- Do not act like the people of Canaan who defiled themselves in these ways.
- Their behavior defiled the land.
- Disobeying the commands would defile them and the land.
- If you obey my commands, you will find life through them.
- To avoid bringing shame on Him.
My response to the behaviors God commanded them not to do—
- Spread disease
- Corrupt and destroy families
- Corrupt and destroy fellowships of believers
- Corrupt and destroy businesses
- Corrupt and destroy nations
12. a. Commands in Leviticus 19 that seem especially relevant to my life—
- Treat my dad with respect.
- Be mindful of the New Covenant version of Sabbath rest—It’s something we enter into not something we observe. It’s a matter of the soul.
- Don’t let anyone judge how I spend a specific day including the Sabbath.
b. Principles about sin and its consequences in Leviticus 20—
- Sin is unholy.
- Sin leads to death.
- Sin brings guilt and requires punishment.
- Sin separates us from God.
According to the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. Hebrews 9:22 HCSB
11 Under the old covenant, the priest stands and ministers before the altar day after day, offering the same sacrifices again and again, which can never take away sins. 12 But our High Priest offered himself to God as a single sacrifice for sins, good for all time. …
14 For by that one offering he forever made perfect those who are being made holy.
15 And the Holy Spirit also testifies that this is so. For he says,
16 “This is the new covenant I will make with my people on that day, says the Lord: I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.”
17 Then he says, “I will never again remember their sins and lawless deeds.”
And when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices.
19 And so, dear brothers and sisters, we can boldly enter heaven’s Most Holy Place because of the blood of Jesus.
20 By his death, Jesus opened a new and life-giving way through the curtain into the Most Holy Place.
21 And since we have a great High Priest who rules over God’s house, 22 let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him. For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ’s blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water. Hebrews 10 NLT
Hallelujah! The whole chapter is awesome. If the study of Leviticus has you feeling all guilt-ridden and yucky, remember how blessed we are under the New Covenant!
Photo Credit Aaron Burden