3. What were they?
Most Holy Place–
- Second or interior portion of the tabernacle, separated from the holy place by a veil of the most costly materials and the brightest colors–blue, purple, and scarlet–embroidered with cherubim.
- Left in total darkness.
- No one was permitted to enter it except the high priest, and that only once a year.
- It contained the ark of the covenant only (Ex 25:10-16).
- It was in the form of a perfect cube of 20 cubits. (A cubit is thought to be 18 inches. So 20 cubits = 30 feet, if I’ve done the math correctly. I always pictured the holy of holies much smaller than that.)
- The ark’s cover–the place of atonement
- Made of one piece of pure gold
- Two cherubim made of the same piece of hammered gold at each end of the cover.
- The cherubim faced each other and looked down on the atonement cover.
- Their wings spread above it, to protect it.
- A sacred chest to hold the two stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant, manna, and Aaron’s staff that budded
- 45 inches long, 27 inches high, and 27 inches wide
- Made of acacia wood and overlayed inside and out with pure gold decorated with a gold molding all around it
- Four cast rings attached to the four feet–two on each side to hold the carrying poles made of Acacia wood
4. a. Verses that show no one should approach the holy God carelessly–
- Leviticus 16:2–“Tell your brother Aaron not to enter into the Holy of Holies, barging inside the curtain that’s before the Atonement-Cover on the Chest whenever he feels like it, lest he die, because I am present in the Cloud over the Atonement-Cover.” MSG
- Leviticus 16:3-5 outlines the procedure to follow before entering the holy of holies.
b. The difference the warning and the procedure makes in my life–
He calls me righteous.
I am the temple of the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 6:19 NLT
I am the apple of His eye. Psalm 17:8 NKJV
5. a. The purpose of the two goats–
The bull and ram were on behalf of the priests. The goats were on behalf of the people.
- One goat is a sin offering to God
- The other goat will be let go to make atonement for the people; To purify them and make them in right standing with the Lord.
b. Hebrews 9:7,22 —
The instructions required Aaron to slaughter a bull as a sin offering before he made atonement for the people. The sin offering purified Aaron and his family, making them right with the Lord.
c. The things Aaron was to do with this offering–
- Slaughter the bull as a sin offering
- Fill an incense burner with coals from the altar. Take the coals and two handfuls of fragrant powdered incense with him into the holy of holies.”There in the Lord’s presence he will put the incense on the burning coals so that a cloud of incense will rise over the Ark’s cover—the place of atonement—that rests on the Ark of the Covenant.” Leviticus 16:13 NLT Visualizing that scene gave me goosebumps.
d. How I could apply this to my prayers for others–
As I pray for others, I can thank God for sending Jesus to make me in right standing before Him. Jesus’ sacrifice also provides right standing for anyone else who accepts Him.
Photo Credit History of Israel