9. a. Moses turned away when the Edomites refused to allow them to pass through because…
- The Edomites were the descendants of Jacob’s brother Esau.
- God said they would feel threatened.
- God said He gave them the hill country around Mount Seir.
- God said not to provoke them or stir them up.
- God said He would not give them any of their land.
b. Because the Israelites weren’t allowed to travel through Edom or Moab,
they traveled around them through the wilderness staying across the Arnon River.
c. It’s right to resist someone only when God says it is.
In the case of the Edomites, God made His instructions clear to Moses. Likewise, we should take the matter to God and find out His thoughts.
We need to be sure we see the situation the way God sees it. We need God on our side when we go into battle.
For though we walk in the world, we do not fight according to this world’s rules of warfare. The weapons of the war we’re fighting are not of this world but are powered by God and effective at tearing down the strongholds erected against His truth. We are demolishing arguments and ideas, every high-and-mighty philosophy that pits itself against the knowledge of the one true God. We are taking prisoners of every thought,every emotion, and subduing them into obedience to the Anointed One. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 The Voice
10. God showed his grace toward Aaron even at his death in the following ways:
- God told him when the time came.
- Aaron’s brother and son were with him.
- It seems Aaron went peacefully.
- Aaron didn’t suffer a long, painful illness or die in a plague or some other public act of God.
- God didn’t mention the golden calf.
- God didn’t mention the incident where He and Miriam rebelled against Moses.
- God only mentioned the one incident where he and Moses rebelled against God.
- God made Eleazer, Aaron’s son, the next priest.
11. a. Aaron’s death marked the end of his role as the high priest.
Future priests would come from his lineage. It’s important that everyone knew God ordained Eleazer. It’s interesting that there were two witnesses to Aaron’s death.
The vestments worn by the priest represented passing of the office and anointing to Eleazer.
Jesus, our permanent high priest, did not come from Aaron’s special lineage. He was not even a Levite.
b. Jesus is my high priest.
- He cannot die.
- He does not fail.
- He is always faithful.
- He is perfect.
- He fulfilled all the law.
- His sacrifice took all my sin and sickness.
Jesus became a priest, not by meeting the physical requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed. Hebrews 7:16 NLT
This would have been very offensive to a Law-loving Jew to call the Law a carnal commandment, but it was true. And the endless lives of Melchizedek in type and Jesus in fact far surpass the carnal commandment that made men priests after the order of Levi. The New Covenant isn’t an extension or amplification of the Old Covenant. It is a completely New Testament that replaced the Old (Hebrews 7:18). AWMI
Photo public domain