Moab Seduces Israel**
8. a. Numbers 25:1-3 NLT
- “Some of the men defiled themselves by having sexual relations with local Moabite women.”
- When invited by some of the women, “the Israelites feasted with them and worshiped the gods of Moab.”
- “Israel joined in the worship of Baal of Peor, causing the Lord’s anger to blaze against Israel.”
b. When I sin, it grieves and quenches the Holy Spirit who dwells in me.
We are no longer under the Old Covenant. The Lord’s anger is not blazing against us when we sin.
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God [do not offend or vex or sadden Him], by Whom you were sealed (marked, branded as God’s own, secured) for the day of redemption (of final deliverance through Christ from evil and the consequences of sin). Galatians 1:10 AMP
There is something very touching in this admonition, “Grieve not the Holy Spirit of God.” It does not say, “Do not make him angry.” A more delicate and tender term is used—”Grieve him not.” Charles Spurgeon 1859
Praise God for Jesus! This (Numbers 25:4) reveals the fierce anger of the Lord. The Israelites totally deserved it and much more. But today, because Jesus bore our sin and satisfied the wrath of God, we don’t get the punishments we deserve. Thank You, Jesus! AWMI
c. Worship is to honor with extravagant love and extreme submission (Webster’s Dictionary, 1828).
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
- Follow hard after Him. Psalm 63:8
- Early in the morning, I rise up and seek Him.
- Turn my heart toward Him throughout the day.
- Do everything I can to present myself to God as a person who is fully genuine, a worker unashamed of my mission, a guide capable of leading others along the correct path defined by the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15
- Be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind He will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him Romans 12:1
As a long-time church musician and worship leader, I automatically link worship and music together. I needed the reminder that worship is above all the posture of my heart. Without a heart inclined toward God, even the best singing, clapping, dancing, drumming, and strumming aren’t worship.
Often, when I’m working at the computer, I listen to Amazon Prime playlists. Bethel Music’s Top Songs was my favorite this week. Many of their songs draw me into worship, raising my voice, my heart, and my hands. Some of them cause me to get up and dance.
KLOVE online is another favorite.
- Knowing Him
- Revelation knowledge
- Sense the glory of His sweet presence
- The things of earth grow strangely dim
9. Putting to death those who indulged in sexual immorality with the Moabite women,
attended the sacrifice to their gods, ate the sacrificial meal, and bowed down before Baal of Peor served two primary purposes:
- It appeased God’s wrath.
- It served as an example and a warning to their fellow Israelites.
Also, the men may have contracted diseases from the perverse Moabite women of that culture.
God sought to wipe out the inhabitants of Canaan because of their wickedness and depravity. As Israel moved in to take the land, it was important the Israelites maintained their own purity, did not form relationships with them, avoid adopting any of their ways, and continue to worship the one and only true God.
It was only through His help, they could be victorious.
**Heading from New Living Translation
Photo Credit “Kingdom of Moab 830 map-pt” by Richardprins (talk · contribs) – This file was derived from: Kingdoms around Israel 830 map.svg:. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons – Link
These are My answers, not THE answers to the study questions.