I apologize for the delay in posting Lesson 27. I spent “spring break” in bed with pneumonia.
Deut 27 ~ The Altar on Mount Ebal
3. a. On Mount Ebal—
- Set up large stones covered in plaster.
- Write clearly all the words of this law on the plastered stones.
- Build an altar using uncut, natural stones.
b. When the people see the large stones with the law inscribed—
- They are reminded who they are—God’s chosen people.
- They are reminded to keep all God’s laws and decrees.
4. a. The event at Mount Ebal and Mount Gerizim—
- Mount Ebal and Mount Gerizim—Long, rocky ridges located in the province of Samaria near Shechem with steep peaks rising about 800 feet * Gerizim abounds with springs, gardens, orchards, and lush green vegetation. Ebal is as naked and as barren as a rock.** Dramatic backdrops indeed.
- Valley at the base of the two mountains—A green, well-watered valley about five hundred yards wide.* According to Joshua 8:33, the people and the leaders who delivered the messages stood at the base of the two mountains.
The participants and their roles:
- Against the backdrop of Mount Gerizim—The tribes of Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Joseph, and Benjamin, the descendants of Jacob’s principal wives, Rachel and Leah,* would deliver the blessings.
- Against the backdrop of Mount Ebal—Reuben, Gad, Asher, Zebulun, Dan, and Naphtali, the descendants of Jacob’s secondary wives, Zilpah and Bilhah,* would deliver the curses.
- All the people replied to each blessing and curse by saying, “Amen.”
b. I recall my dad issuing strong warnings about obeying “the law.”
He’s definitely believes we still must earn God’s favor through obeying the law.
In my experience, the Holy Spirit doesn’t work that way. He convicts me and alerts me gently. Sometimes my stupid, impudent flesh goes ahead anyway. Especially, that unruly tongue of mine.
Over the years, the sadness and regret I feel after making a wrong choice, letting that cutting remark fly, or making excuses for my bad behavior reminds me it’s just not worth it. The accuser shows up and has a field day.
Thanks to Jesus, He took all my sin, all my guilt and shame, and I receive forgiveness and God’s unearned favor!
These are MY answers to the study questions, not THE answers.