- What if they won’t believe me or listen to me? (I’m surprised God didn’t say “I’m sending you because they won’t listen to Me.) And what if they say, “The Lord has not appeared to you.” Exodus 4:1
- But I’m not and never have been a good speaker. Exodus 4:10
- Please, Lord, send someone else to do the talking. Exodus 4:13
b. God’s answers to Moses’ objections—
- God gave Moses three miraculous signs he could use to convince the Israelites that God had sent Him: (1) His staff became a serpent and then turned back again when he grabbed it by the tail. Exodus 4:2-4 (2) His became leprous when he put it inside his cloak and returned to normal when he repeated the action. Exodus 4:6-7 (3) Pour some water from the Nile on the ground. It will turn into blood. Exodus 4:9
- God said, I created mouths. I give the ability to speak, hear, and see. I will help you speak and give you the words. Exodus 4:10-11
- God allowed Moses to have Aaron speak for him. Exodus 4:14
c. My own objections—First of all, I wish I could say I’ve never made any.
You’d think, when face to face with a burning bush, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit AND complete with the audible voice thing, how would a person even have the nerve to speak? Objections would be running amok through my brain, non-the-less.
Some of my past objections (some as recent as…now)—
- Why me?
- I’m not strong enough.
- I’m too young.
- I’m too old.
- I’m too shy.
- I’ll look silly, stupid, dumb.
- I don’t know what to say.
- I’m too tired.
- I’m too busy.
- I have too many other obligations already.
- I don’t like to make phone calls.
- I’m afraid.
- I have too many interruptions.
- I can’t concentrate.
- This is a very personal question. Can’t I just write that and be done with this post?
Most of these objections relate to writing. I spent years writing for my eyes only. Hitting publish on a blog post is scary. Every. Time.
The Lord has dealt with my own objections in less dramatic ways. Miraculous signs I could demonstrate at will and a personal assistant to handle any uncomfortable tasks would be very cool.
Thankfully, God has given me confirmations and reassurance from others at times. A man prophesied that I would have an anointing to write. An eight year old girl I had just met said I was going to write a book.
It is so much better when I obey without giving in to doubt, fear, or other objections. When I’m tempted to object, I want to immediately confess my concern and ask for His help.
I am weak, but He is strong.