Scriptural Prophecy — Revelation of things to come
11. Fulfilled Prophecies
The first fulfillment was Joshua, a forerunner and type of Christ. “Joshua and Jesus have the same comprehensive meaning. The former in the Hebrew, and the latter in Greek, signify “Savior”. Joshua was so-called because eminently destined, and raised up to deliver Israel, and to conquer their enemies.” William Nicholson, 1862
Like Moses, Joshua led the people and sought God on their behalf. Unlike Moses, he communicated with God through the high priest and did not directly perform signs and wonders. (Leveling Jericho’s walls was certainly a sign and wonder.)
Jesus Christ fulfilled this prophecy once and for all. He was like Moses, only better.
- God sent and raised up Moses, Joshua, and Jesus.
- All three were descendants of Abraham.
- Moses and Jesus spoke to God directly.
- Moses and Jesus interceded for the people.
- Moses and Jesus demonstrated signs and wonders.
- Moses delivered the Israelites from Egyptian bondage. Jesus, the ultimate redeemer, delivered all who look to Him for salvation from sin’s bondage. “How applicable this name to Christ! “You shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins!” Matthew 1:21.
- Jesus saves from . . .
- the effects of sin,
- the guilt of sin,
- the condemnation of sin,
- the wretchedness of sin,
- the world,
- the grave,
- eternal perdition!” William Nicholson 1862
John 5:46 Jesus said, “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me because he wrote about Me.”
Acts 3:18-23 In verses 22-23, Peter quotes Moses’ prophecy.
12. Promises and hope
(answers to parts “A and B” combined)
Luke 24:44-47 Jesus promised all the prophecies written about Him in the law of Moses, the prophetic books, and the Psalms must be fulfilled. He even opened their understanding of those writings.
It’s encouraging to know the prophetic promises come with a guarantee of fulfillment.
It’s also encouraging to know God promised to open our understanding. Being in a relationship with Him is key. If head knowledge (religion) was enough, the Pharisees would have embraced the Messiah when He sat among them.
John 14:3 As His joint heirs, Jesus promised to prepare a place for us. He also promised we will be with Him there forever. Hallelujah!
Available on Amazon (affiliate link)
For more information about Bible Study Fellowship International (BSF) visit their website. You can search for a class near you. The study of the book of Revelation begins soon in the northern hemisphere.
These are MY answers to the study questions, not THE answers.
Subscribe free and you won’t miss a thing! Thanks for joining in on the adventure.