Letter to Smyrna Revelation 2:8-11
11. Jesus identified Himself as the first and the last (the beginning and the end)
The One who was dead (the Lamb of God, Redeemer of all mankind) and came back to life — again, Eternal.
He is God and the Son of God
12. A. Jesus has intimate knowledge of the congregation in Smyrna
- They are suffering pain and tribulation.
- They are in dire poverty.
- Poverty isn’t mentioned about any of the other congregations.
- He sees their true wealth. The Greek word used here can be used figuratively as abounding with.*
- The Jews who are persecuting and slandering them are Jews only by virtue of their DNA. They don’t “truly honor the God whom they claim to worship” MSG.
- He says they should not fear the coming persecution.
- The Evil One (Satan, not the Lord) will send some to prison, a time of testing.
- They will have trouble for ten days. The Lord does not promise to deliver them.
- He encourages them to be true until death, and He will give them the crown of life.
- Those who overcome will be rewarded with the crown of life.
B. Material wealth is not the only type of riches.
Matthew 5:3 Those who are devoid of spiritual arrogance are blessed, spiritually prosperous, happy, and to be admired. The kingdom of heaven is their reward.
Matthew 6:19-20 Store your treasure in heaven where treasure is safe. It can’t be stolen, eaten by insects or vermin, or ruined by decay.
2 Corinthians 8:9 Jesus gave up the riches of heaven to come to earth and show us extravagant kindness and generous grace.
The church in Smyrna still exists today.
My answers—not THE answers—to study questions for BSF Revelation Lesson 4 day 4
I appreciate comments and further insight. Thanks for visiting!