Romans Lesson 2 Day 4
My answers to BSF study questions
9. a. They chose the “foolish lie over God’s truth.” (Romans 1:25 Voice)
They traded “the splendor and beauty of the immortal God to worship images of the common man or woman, bird or reptile, or the next beast that tromps along.” Romans 1:23 Voice
Paul uses the definite article – it is not a lie, but the lie. The lie is essentially idolatry – which puts us in the place of God. It is the lie you will be like God (Genesis 3:5). (Guzik)
b. Things more important to me than they should be
- Being right—I don’t like to admit I’m wrong or that I made a mistake. It’s basically pride.
- Aesthetics—clean, orderly, pleasing, artistic
- Quiet time alone
- Complaining and ungrateful—Aparently, I’m addicted to saying whatever is bothering me. I must become addicted to gratitude.
In a news broadcast about recent victims of flooding, the reporter said, “people are frustrated—tired of eating granola bars and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.” I get it. I would feel the same way. Then I’d feel guilty knowing many go to bed hungry. Every night.
Other common cultural obsessions
- Collections of material items
- Food of extravagant quantities and variety
- Career / Success / Fame
- Immoral lifestyles
I don’t think anything in my life is a substitute for God, but my mind is still in the renewal process.
Little by little the things of earth become less important as I focus on Him.
God recently showed me I’d become the curator of my grandmother’s collections and that they were baggage, not treasures. I felt like I was honoring her by hanging onto her antique dolls, dishes, and other Victorian items. She (and I) thought these items would be valuable one day.
During the summer, I pulled boxes out of the attic and decided it’s time to let go. Her collections became a burden and not a blessing.
10. God created man in His own image, a reflection of His nature. (MSG)
- The purpose of male and female was to create and reproduce themselves as God reproduced Himself by creating man and woman.
- God gave man authority over every other created thing. By worshiping other creations and not the Creator, we reverse the order.
- God created The sexual relationship between one man and one woman as a pure thing as they embrace and become one flesh. Nothing was to come between them or separate them.
- Unjust people who don’t care about God will not be joining in his kingdom. (1 Corinthians 6:9 MSG)
Some shocking facts about the Roman culture Paul writes about–
iv. Paul wrote to a culture where homosexuality was accepted as a part of life for both men and women. For some 200 years, the men who ruled the Roman Empire openly practiced homosexuality often with young boys.
v. At times the Roman Empire specifically taxed approved homosexual prostitution and gave boy prostitutes a legal holiday. Legal marriage between same gender couples was recognized, and even some of the emperors married other men. At the very time Paul wrote, Nero was emperor. He took a boy named Sporus and had him castrated, then married him (with a full ceremony), brought him to the palace with a great procession, and made the boy his “wife.” Later, Nero lived with another man, and Nero was the “wife.” (Guzik)
11. God gave them over and abandoned them to… (AMP)
- Sinful desires
- Shameful lusts
- Depraved minds
This phrase occurs three times in these verses.
I can’t say this passage changes my mind because I know the path is a destructive one. It’s sad. Those who “evangelize” others to join them on their path toward destruction, concern me the most.
Jumping ahead to Romans 1:32, “Despite the fact that they are fully aware that God’s law says this way of life deserves death, they fail to stop. And worse—they applaud others on this destructive path.’ (Voice)
* Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but Off Grid Worship will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us spread our message!
MY answers — not THE answers — to BSF study questions on Romans Lesson 2 Day 4