Romans Lesson 3 Day 4
My answers to BSF study questions
9. a. Jew’s bragging rights
In this passage, Paul points out they put their trust in simply possessing God’s law. The following verses from chapter 9 point out more privileges:
They are, after all, Israelites who have been adopted into God’s family; the glory, the covenants, the gift of the law, the temple service, and God’s promises are their rightful heritage. 5 The patriarchs are theirs, too; and from their bloodline comes the Anointed One, the Liberating King, who reigns supreme over all things, God blessed forever. Amen. Romans 9:4-5 Voice (emphasis added)
- Judah, the only remaining tribe of the descendants of Abraham, God’s friend
- Adopted into God’s own family
- Delivered out of Egypt by Moses with epic signs and wonders
- Sustained supernaturally for forty years in a wilderness
- Their ancestors and patriarchs saw the visible glory of God.
- God made covenants with their Patriarchs.
- Uniquely chosen to receive the law of God inscribed by His own hand.
- God chose them to serve in His temple.
- From their bloodline comes the Anointed One.
- God’s promises are their rightful heritage.
Instead of responding with humble gratitude, it went to their heads.
- Self-righteous as if simply possessing God’s Holy law made it so
b. God’s chosen nation now includes everyone who believes in Christ—Jew and Gentile alike.
- All the promises now apply to me.
- He supplies all my needs.
- I have even greater access to God.
- He obliterated the Veil!
- Jesus declares me in right-standing with God because of His blood.
Attitude check—Sometimes I’m . . .
- Impatient with others
10. Paul accuses the Jews of breaking all ten commandments.
The most common way we fail to do what Jesus said is summed up in one word—love.
Love the Eternal One our God with all our heart, soul, and mind.
Love our neighbor as we love ourselves.
11. Because of (hypocrites), God’s reputation is slandered by those outside the covenant. (Voice)
I have more to learn about loving others.
Investigate my life, O God,
find out everything about me;
Cross-examine and test me,
get a clear picture of what I’m about;
See for yourself whether I’ve done anything wrong—
then guide me on the road to eternal life. Psalm 139:23-24 MSG
Your gift is greatly appreciated and helps spread the Word!
* Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but Off Grid Worship will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us spread our message!
MY answers — not THE answers — to BSF study questions on Romans Lesson 3 Day 4 ~ Romans 2:17-24