Romans Lesson 4 Day 4
My answers to BSF study questions
8. a. People everywhere, Jews and non-Jews, are living under the power of sin. (Voice)
Paul quotes from various verses in Psalms—
The quotes from Psalms refer to fools, the wicked, and his enemies. (All quotes below come from the Voice translation.)
Isaiah addressed people of Judah (after the Babylonian invasion) about the way they doubted God. Some thought God couldn’t hear their cries and some thought He wasn’t powerful enough to fight for them.
Warren Wiersbe calls this passage “An X-ray study of the lost sinner, from head to foot.” Guzik
- No one who understands the truth.
- No one is seeking after the one True God.
- All have turned away.
- Together they’ve become worthless.
- No one does good, not even one.
- What comes out of their mouths is as foul as a rotting corpse.
- Their words stink of flattery.
- Viper venom hides beneath their lips.
- Their mouths are full of curses, lies, and oppression.
- Their feet race to violence and bloodshed;
- Destruction and trouble line the roads of their lives.
- And they’ve never taken the road to peace.
- You will never see the fear of God in their eyes. (All from Voice translation)
The power of sin in my life
I have turned away and sulked especially after my mom died when I was 18. I was angry and hurt. Like Judah, I felt like He didn’t hear my cries. Or even worse—maybe He didn’t care. I knew God was powerful enough. But the “why” question persisted.
b. Four of the effects listed above refer to the spoken word.
Their words are foul, they stink, they are venomous, and they are full of curses, lies, and oppression.
I’m guilty. My tongue is indeed unruly and undisciplined. I should keep a large piece of tape over my mouth and type instead of speak, so I can edit before I say something I will later or immediately regret.
This verse gets to me every time —”With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse men who were made in God’s likeness!” James 3:9 AMPC
Or better yet,
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit. Psalm 51:10-12 ESV
9. They have no fear of God at all.
There is one other interesting word in this passage. It is the word in Romans 3:12 which we have translated. “They have gone bad.” The word is achreioo (Greek #889), which literally means to render useless. One of its uses is of milk that has gone sour. Human nature without Christ is a soured and useless thing. William Barclay
Paul has made his argument that the Gentiles know the difference between right and wrong and know God exists. He also argues that the Jews have even less excuse because they have the written word of God plus their rich heritage.
Despite their knowledge of God, both Jews and non-Jews lived their lives as slaves to the power of sin. The effects Paul lists are the result of their disregard for God.
This look at the human condition is depressing. What’s the point? The Apostle Paul wants us to understand our complete inability to save ourselves. The fall touches every part of man’s being, and the inventory of body parts corrupted by the fall demonstrates this. Guzik
10. A believer’s fear of God is reverent awe.
Paul outlines the effects of sin. What are the effects of fearing God?
- Worship Him in awe in the beauty of His holiness
- Submit to discipline knowing it comes from His loving heart.
Therefore, let us all be thankful that we are a part of an unshakable Kingdom and offer to God worship that pleases Him and reflects the awe and reverence we have toward Him, for He is like a fierce fire that consumes everything. Hebrews 12:28-29 Voice
The reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord is the beginning and the principal and choice part of knowledge [its starting point and its essence]; but fools despise skillful and godly Wisdom, instruction, and discipline. Proverbs 1:7 AMPC
Your support is greatly appreciated and helps spread the Word!
* Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but Off Grid Worship will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us spread our message!
MY answers — not THE answers — to BSF study questions on Romans Lesson 4 Day 4 ~ Romans 3:9-18