10. a. Jacob bypassed Reuben giving the sons of Joseph the inheritance of the firstborn. Joseph became the patriarch of the family just as predicted in the dream God gave him as a youth. Jacob also gave Joseph one more ridge of land.
- Abel over Cain
- Jacob over Esau
- Isaac over Ishmael
- Joseph over Reuben
- Ephraim over Manasseh
11. Looking back at the question and my answers, I don’t know if all of these verses “helped me”, but these are the ones that jumped out at me.
- …and Israel worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff. (or …And Israel bowed himself upon the head of the bed. AMP) Genesis 47:31 – That jumped out at me as unexpected, but at the same time, I realized it shouldn’t be. It should be a way of life.
- …to my sorrow Rachel died in the land of Canaan while we were still on the way. Genesis 48:7 – Such a loving and tender glimpse into their relationship. Is there a hint of regret? Perhaps he wonders if the trip was ill-timed or their pace too swift.
- 48:2-3 When Jacob was old, blind, and ill, he still managed to sit up when Joseph came with his sons. His mind was still alert enough to remind Joseph of his encounter with God Almighty and the promises He made. I think this affected me because my own father’s mind is no longer sharp due to a stroke. I hope that during his last years, he will pronounce blessings on all of us. In my own future, I hope that my mind will retain the memories of my own encounters with God and pass those along to my grandchildren. Trying to remember and preserve the visions and dreams are the main reasons I write them down.
12. The son of God
13. the blessing that would be pronounced on others, “May God make you like Ephraim and Manasseh.” Also, where Jacob said of Ephraim and Manasseh, “they are mine just as Reuben and Simeon are mine.”
14. Genesis 47:29-30 Jacob asked Joseph to swear he would not bury him in Egypt but carry him back to where his fathers were buried.
Genesis 48:21-22 ..God will be with you and take you back to the land of your fathers. He goes on to give Joseph a specific ridge of land he took from the Amorites.
- It won’t always look or feel like He is using us.
- He may choose to use someone who rubs us the wrong way.
- God’s plans take a L O N G time. We may not live to see the promises fulfilled.
- God is faithful.
- Pray that I remember all of the above.