Romans Lesson 13 Day 2
My answers to BSF study questions
3. a. Therefore—”So now the case is closed.” (Romans 8:1)
“So now the case is closed. There remains no accusing voice of condemnation against those who are joined in life-union with Jesus, the Anointed One. (Romans 8:1 TPT)
Paul has made his case for justification by faith. So, he begins this portion of his letter with “therefore” indicating he has conclusively presented his case.
- All have sinned.
- Gentiles know of God but reject him.
- Jews have God’s law but that doesn’t make them righteous.
- God is the righteous judge of all people.
- “God’s restorative justice has entered the world, independent of the law.” (Romans 3:21 Voice)
- Believing faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus who was crucified for us.
- Being right with God has always been by faith alone, not by our actions.
- Once we are right with God, we can rejoice and triumph despite our troubles knowing they produce endurance.
- The sin of one man, Adam, caused death to rule everyone.
- “Adam’s one sin brings condemnation for everyone, but Christ’s one act of righteousness brings a right relationship with God and new life for everyone.” (Romans 5:18 NLT)
- When we accept God’s free gift, the power of sin is broken in us.
- Our old sinful nature died with Christ.
- Released from the law, we live a new way—in the Spirit.
There is now no condemnation. . . See John 3:16-17; 5:24
God’s plan—save the world from the path to eternal destruction by providing a door to eternal life. He “once and for all condemned the guilt and power of sin.” (Romans 8:3b TPT emphasis added)
The point is that there is NO condemnation from the Lord to those who are in Him, PERIOD. But if believers walk “after” the flesh, there can be condemnation against them from other sources.
A Christian who breaks the law will be condemned by the legal authorities. Christians who walk “after” the flesh can be condemned by their own consciences and the devil’s accusations, but that condemnation isn’t from the Lord. (Andrew Wommack’s Living Commentary)
b. Romans 8:1
Our position in Jesus Christ is the reason for our standing of no condemnation. (Guzik)
Those who have not accepted God’s free gift remain under condemnation. It’s not my job to condemn or criticize anyone, believer or unbeliever because it’s impossible for anyone to obey the law or achieve a right relationship with God except through faith in Jesus.
Since God planned for and made a way for all to be free of eternal destruction, I should share the good news instead of judging the behavior of others.
Father God, help me to remember this truth—
Those who enter into Christ’s being-here-for-us no longer have to live under a continuous, low-lying black cloud. A new power is in operation. The Spirit of life in Christ, like a strong wind, has magnificently cleared the air, freeing you from a fated lifetime of brutal tyranny at the hands of sin and death. (From Romans 8:1-2 MSG)
Lord, help me to “live, not according to [my] flesh, but by the dynamic power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 8:4 TPT)
4. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
God sent his own son, Jesus to receive the condemnation we deserve.
Jesus conquered sin and death.
The law of the Spirit of life sets those who are in Christ free from the law of sin and death.
God did what the law could not do.
5. The righteous and just requirement of the Law
The requirement of the law is fulfilled in believers because we are in Christ. Our flesh died with him. It’s because of our position in Jesus Christ.
“This phrase [in Christ] imports, that there is a mystical and spiritual union betwixt Christ and believers. This is sometimes expressed by Christ being in them . . . and here by their being in Christ. Christ is in believers by His Spirit, and believers are in Christ by faith.” (Poole)
When Jesus ascended to the Father, he sent the Holy Spirit (Spirit of Truth) to remain with us as our counselor, helper, advocate, strengthener, intercessor, standby, and comforter. We no longer live in the ways of the flesh but we live and move in the ways of the Spirit.
Follow our FACEBOOK PAGE or leave a comment below.
Please help spread the Word by clicking “like” and sharing this post with your friends and via social media.
- Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but Off Grid Worship will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us spread our message!
MY answers — not THE answers — to BSF study questions on Romans Lesson 13 Day 2 ~ Romans 8:1-4